Accountability and safeguarding
In order to achieve our ambitious intent as stipulated in the new Oxfam in Kenya Country Strategy 2015-2020 and realise Oxfam’s overall goal of fighting poverty and injustice and bringing about social change, and be credible in the demands we make of others, Oxfam in Kenya recognises the need to consistently model excellent accountability practices. We can only have the legitimacy to ask for and expect accountability from others if we practice what we preach in the way we manage ourselves and our organisation and in the way we approach and carry out our programme work.
Oxfam in Kenya aims to embed both the culture and practice of accountability to communities throughout its programme work. Central to this is ensuring mutually accountable relationships with partners and joint accountability (with partners) to women and men living in poverty. Other key stakeholders who we intend to ensure we are accountable to include our donors, supporters, allies and staff. Our belief is that by being accountable to communities we will achieve higher quality programmes and more sustainable impact.
Our main accountability objectives for the period 2015-2020 include:
- Leadership and staff develop a culture of accountability within and beyond the organisation
- Oxfam in Kenya demonstrates transparency and honesty in order to strengthen legitimacy and integrity
- Oxfam in Kenya promotes and shares learning about accountability internally and externally
Approach to achieving accountability
In order to achieve this Oxfam in Kenya ensures that:
- We are TRANSPARENT to ensure that the people affected by our programmes have access to all the relevant information in time and in an accessible form, so that they can hold us to account.
- Provide room for communities and other stakeholders to give us FEEDBACK in appropriate and accessible channels
- Enable people to PARTICIPATE in decision making processes and in the implementation of all aspects of our work
- And finally, ensure that our programmes are judged by the people who are directly affected by them and thus are at the forefront of MONITORING and EVALUATING the impact our programmes are having on their lives as well facilitate LEARNING on what is and is not working
Safeguarding policy and procedures at Oxfam
At Oxfam, we are committed to zero tolerance of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in our organization. This means that we will do everything in our power to prevent these from happening, and rigorously address it each and every time it happens.
To access our Code of Conduct, safeguarding policies and procedures, and confidential whistleblowing lines visit Oxfam's International website